Happy Thursday! This is really two recipes combined because I was not able to find eggplants at the grocery store. For some reason, I saw the poblano peppers sitting there and it made sense in my head. This took me a decent amount of time to make so I would try to meal prep this and fridge it for reheating later.
I personally used the Hunts Pasta Sauce and added lots of herbs and spices to it. I also used dairy-free Parmesan, Mozzarella, and a little bit of Feta on top. If you used a fake egg mix, this would be 100% vegan.
- 3 Poblano Peppers
- ½ Small Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper, Red
- 2-3 Stalks of Celery
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- Spices of your choice
- 1 – 28oz Can of Pasta Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Almond Flour
- ¾ Cup Shredded Parmesan
- 1 Cup Mozzarella, Divided
- 2 Large Eggs
- First, you need to roast the Poblano Peppers to remove the skin. The skin is usually bitter so removing it makes for a better taste. Preheat the oven to 425 and place your poblano peppers on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 5-10 minutes on each side and it will char/burn. Once done, place the peppers in a bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap to steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove the skin from the peppers and set them aside.
- While peppers are roasting, heat a skillet with olive oil and saute your onion, bell pepper, and cloves until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove the vegetable mix and divide into two bowls. Place to the side.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour and shredded parmesan. In a second bowl, whisk your two eggs.
- Take the poblano peppers and cut off the bottom tip of each pepper. We will be stuffing the peppers with half of the cooked vegetables.
- Take the stuffed poblanos and dip in the egg mix, and then into the flour/parmesan mix. Place in lined pan to cook. Cook in 425 oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- While the peppers are cooking, heat up the pasta sauce and add the remaining half of the cooked vegetables. When the peppers are done, remove from the pan and place to the side. Using the same pan, layer half of the pasta sauce on the bottom. Add your poblano peppers on the second layer and then cover with half of your mozzarella. Repeat with remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cook parmesan bake in 350 oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbling.
I put the ingredients into MyFitnessPal as a recipe and it gave me 236 calorie per serving (supposed to serve 6). Realistically, this serves 2-3 adults and that 236 included the eggs which it shouldn’t since it’s part of the coating and not being eaten in it’s entirety.